|How high is Penang Hill? A little bit higher than a rainbow|
While some tropical areas in the world have distinct dry and rainy seasons, predicting weather in Penang is as impossible as predicting which direction a Penang motorcyclist will drive on a one way street.
|Cannonball tree in full bloom|
But with the aroma and vivid colors of blooming trees right now, it is a reminder that even though many recent changes at the park have been detrimental, the Gardens are still a special place to explore.
|As we hid from the rain at the Botanic Gardens, this camouflaged spider hid from predators|
With the rainy days continuing, we decided to come up with a list of the Top 10 things to do in Penang on rainy days (in no particular order):
- Shopping - the best way to pretend it's not raining is to dart through noisy Prangin Mall in search of cheap gifts and DVDs, electronics, a pedicure, a massage, and a haircut (try Albert at Doremius Hair Salon behind McDonalds), or over to Gurney Mall for a stroll through the higher end shops.
- Peranakan Mansion - the driest stop along the George Town heritage trail. Take your time appreciating all of the intricacies of the Baba-Nyonya lifestyle.
- Chocolate Boutique - endless chocolate to sample in this shop located inside a heritage mansion.
- Straits Quay: for a coffee break or a much needed cocktail break.
- Penang Cooking Class at Tropical Spice Garden.
- Veenai Odeon Cinema - for a more cultural escape from the rain, check out a Bollywood or Kollywood film in this historic theatre near Little India.
- CTY Aquarium Shop (Chew Thean Yeang 周天央) - the largest aquarium shop in South East Asia. You can find this "zoo" next to Tune Hotel on Burma Road (afterwards, dash across the road for some local Penang pastries and beancurd jelly). Or in the Batu Ferringhi area, check out the butterfly and insect zoo at the Penang Butterfly Farm.
- Rent a car - Penang is a big island with much more to see than just George Town. Right outside the town area, stop at Suffolk House, Dhammikarama Burmese Temple, and Wat Chaiyamangkalaram Thai Temple (Reclining Buddha Temple). Further out, visit Kek Lok Si Temple in Air Itam.
- E&O Hotel or 32 at the Mansion - for a drink and a view of the sea.
- Visit Capturing Penang's Twitter account to find out if any special events are going on in Penang that day.